Sunday, December 16, 2012

In Crisis: Our Mental Health System

This is an article written by a mother in response to the massacre that occurred in Connecticut. I have worked with so many of these kids and often times we run into the same issue, funding. We need to come together as a society and talk more about the crisis in the mental health system. Tragedies such as the one that occurred in Connecticut will continue until something is done. I applaud this mother's courage for speaking out!

Some excepts from the article:

"I pulled up in front of the hospital, frantically waving for one of the clinicians who happened to be standing outside. "Call the police," I said. "Hurry."

Michael was in a full-blown fit by then, screaming and hitting. I hugged him close so he couldn't escape from the car. He bit me several times and repeatedly jabbed his elbows into my rib cage. I'm still stronger than he is, but I won't be for much longer."
----

"No one wants to send a 13-year-old genius who loves Harry Potter and his snuggle animal collection to jail. But our society, with its stigma on mental illness and its broken healthcare system, does not provide us with other options. Then another tortured soul shoots up a fast food restaurant. A mall. A kindergarten classroom. And we wring our hands and say, "Something must be done."

http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

No comments:

Post a Comment